Thursday, January 15, 2009

20,173 Herniated Cervical Vertebrae (post-Metallica thoughts)

*Deep breath in... then out* Damn.

I have not been in the front door more than 20 mins from the Metallica concert, so I'm gonna try to log some memories and observations before they are clouded by a relaxing shower and double-digit hours of sleep.

1. If your new wife will join you on the floor level of a Metallica show, you know she's special. Good to meet you, Chris.
2. T-shirts should never cost $32 apiece... but some do... and they still sell.
3. Bad seat doesn't necessarily mean bad show. Thank God for that!
4. Just because you are assigned a seat, it doesn't mean you ever have to sit down. In fact, you probably shouldn't.
5. I saw a couple sharing a sweet kiss during "Wherever I May Roam." Whatever works.
6. Lars was lit from behind and at a low angle, so you could see his shadow just booming up on the ceiling - pretty damn pimp.
7. James has cut pretty much all the swearing out of his stage banter, and it only sneaks up in a few choice songs. I wonder if that's intentional or what.
8. I was unusually amped up when "Master of Puppets" started up, one that doesn't usually grip me, but that's probably what started my whiplash.
9. I don't remember what song it was that had just started, but I will swear until my grave that the moment James Hetfield struck his guitar, it played the note thunder.
10. I was teased all night with the possibility of hearing "The Unforgiven", but it never came. However, "Motorbreath" was a very pleasant surprise.
11. If I had to choose between a lights show and pyros.... yeah, you already know which way I'd lean.
12. Between songs, James pointed out some young kid up at the very front, looked to be around 12. Lucky damn kid!
13. Hurricane Rob did some spinning around the stage again. He also fell down at one point because his own closing bass riff defeated him.
14. Giant black Death Magnetic beach balls were awesome, especially when the band was kicking them out into the audience while they kept playing. James jump-heatbutted one, which was hilarious.
15. My boss' brother clearly dumped the rest of his beer on the floor from trying to check his watch. I scolded him for this, but also staring down and holding onto the evidential empty plastic cups.
16. At one time, the audience's "hey-hey-hey" chant was so strong and so coordinated that in between shouts it almost felt silent.
17. I guess I haven't seen Metallica live since I became a die-hard Hokies fan. That made "Enter Sandman" very, VERY special and moving.
18. There was a moment in one song where Rob, Kirk and James formed a triangle in front of Lars, all pointing to him like they were channeling energy. It was really cool, and I think it worked!
19. Their sound quality in an arena will never be as good as an open stadium. But their very worst show is probably still mind-blowing.
20. Lighting rigs designed as giant steel coffins that revolve around stage, tilt and swing down... bad-ass. If I got any decent shots, it's of those bad boys in action. These had to be 30' in length or so.

Finally, let's see if I can name every song (out of order) that got played tonight.
Ecstacy of Gold
That Was Just Your Life
The End of the Line
Broken, Beat and Scarred
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long
Cyanide
Sad But True
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters
Die, Die My Darling
Motorbreath
Seek and Destroy
Harvester of Sorrow
One
Four Horsemen
Master of Puppets
Enter Sandman
Battery

Good times. Big nod to Kelly and Chris for making this my fantastic birthday gift! Well, a very ginger nod because my neck is sore, my stomach is growling and my aching body desperately needs a shower. Might be pics later if any of them came out even quarter-decent. Rock rock on.

No comments: