Monday, June 11, 2007

The Yin and Yang of an Audiophile

Back in my junior English class we wrote short papers on illusions, and I made mine about the illusion of how I'll always have time to do whatever. I made the realization that this is incredibly false, and that I'm only damaging myself with my late-to-bed/early-to-rise routine. I'm not saying I've made any progress in that area, but rather I've made another discovery about myself, and easily confirmed it over the last couple weeks.

I've kinda joked about it before, but now I know the two polar opposites that attract me in the world of sound. Of course there's the driving rhythms and flighty solos and soulful growls of Metallica (just as one example). I love getting caught in the frenzy, falling victim to the mood of the song and just embracing the overpowering volume, sometimes to the point of doing my body physical harm. So is it any surprise that the other sweetest sound to me is absolute silence? It's so rare to actually find, but there is no other peace like it. No traffic, no phones, no buzzing machines, no fussy babies, no background conversations, no radio or television... just nothing. Even if the breeze were to pick up a bit and rustle some trees, you'd be tempted to "shush" it, and then scold yourself for an unnecessary exhalation. I miss that total silence, especially since it seems to be best for my writing. (Insert segue here.)

I need to get back to writing. I have many things pushing and signaling me to exercise my creativity more, so I just gotta sit down and crank some work out. I wish it wasn't such hard work for me to do. Maybe I overthink and complicate my writing process, but I feel like there's some skilled core that I've yet to reach. Little help?

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Yay, finally a new blog!! :)