Wednesday, June 13, 2007

You make me want to quit sharing myself.

Dad really upset me this evening, and maybe it's something ridiculous and minuscule, but it really hit a nerve.... hard. My dad is very proud of my creative side, mostly my lyric writing, and that's great. I pour myself into my work and try to make sure it's genuine and meaningful. What upset me was that he told me about sharing my work with someone else he knows from work, but didn't bother to ask if he could first. I take my work very personally and I guess I thought it would be a gesture of courtesy to say, "I would like to share your work with someone I know that I think would really appreciate it. Is that okay?" But what really annoys me is that this has happened before. He took it upon himself to spread MY work elsewhere, so that's when I told him I'd rather be asked first. But now it seems that is too much to ask of him.

Now is where we get into the debate of how "public" my song already are. I have put a lot of my pieces online and unrestricted. In theory, this means the entire net-surfing population can see my poetry or songetry, so I'll say 3.3 billion people are reading my blog. (This is under the random guess that 50% on the global population either has no net access or has AOL, which is basically the same thing. Of course, this figure also neglects the language barrier that would filter out another sizable chunk.) I would be willing to bet that 95% of the people that come across my writings are people that actually know me. There might be a few random peeks here and there, but the majority are friends that are intentionally checking my stuff out. And of those regulars, I doubt that any of them copy/paste my writings or send links around for people to check it out. It's nobody's to show off but my own. I thought I'd found a medium to share with those whose opinions actually count to me, but it seems I need to narrow this down. All that said, I'm fairly calm now. I realize he's acting out of pride, and it's such a thing to explode over. It may just mean I have to set certain parameters on who can view my ramblings and writings. Suggestions?

I have been writing, though. I tried to sit down and force something out for a couple hours last night, but it went very rough. I might have something I would post as a rough draft, but I wanna do some second-impression revisions first. It's still not coming out naturally for me.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Nealilicious! What is up with the lack of posts?