Monday, October 22, 2007

Best. Uncle. EVER.

Yes, I have doubted my abilities to perform up to par in my role as an uncle, and I'm sure times will come that uncertainty sneaks up again, but I am now thoroughly convinced that I am THE best uncle there has ever been. All my thanks to Leah for making this so. Here's how I know...

I got back to Waldorf late Saturday night, so all the ladies (including Leah) were fast asleep. It wasn't until the next morning that we saw each other. I stumbled sleepily downstairs and heard Leah, Kelly and Dad in the living room. I peeked around the corner and squeaked to get her attention. Then it happened: she turned, recognized me, then ran across the room with a jubilant growl/laugh and arms outstretched for a full-contact hug. Kelly informed me that that was the happiest she had been all morning. I believe it because I remember some alarming crying from early morning. No more.

Fast-forward *badoop baDOOP* to lunchtime. Her father has lovingly prepared a grilled cheese sammich for her and sliced it into handy triangles. I am meanwhile juggling her in the living room and we decide to sit at the computer desk and watch the fish swim all around (as the screensaver). Leah loves her fish. So she kinda lounges on me while Chris looks for her highchair. Having no luck, we decide she seems content enough just sitting on my lap and fish-watching. She hums to herself and snacks on her lunch, but also handing me alternate bites so I can enjoy it too. It's so simple, isn't it? Eating lunch, watching digital fish, being happy. Yes - I rule. A-thank you.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

What? You've started blogging since you got back from fat camp? Marvelous!

Laurel said...

Do they not let you write at fat camp anymore?