Sunday, December 23, 2007

Musical Frustration

Despite the title, this has nothing to do with my own musical endeavors or somewhat dormant creativity of late. This story, which still somewhat upsets me, is about people I didn't know at the time, nor will I ever see them again.

Wednesday night was a fairly pleasant evening at Tyson's Corner, enjoying dinner with Nikki, Andersons and Sextons... Oh - and some DeMarcos were there as well. Dinner was quite enjoyable (save for the temperature and the long wait). But I had arrived at the mall and found the restaurant well ahead of schedule, so I ambled about to see what was to see. This includes no bathrooms and no maps. Non-peeing, easily-navigating jerkholes...

Anywho, I found my way into a Sharper Image store because I like electrons and such. They had an electric guitar starter kit, so I felt obligated to try it out and play rockstar for the rest of the crowd. The staff member that gave me the OK to play it stood around and complimented some of my crappier playing, probably thinking that he was gonna get me to buy something. Poor fool.

While I was playing and checking out the kit, a mother comes up to the salesman and starts asking about the package, particularly if it would be fitting for her 5/6-year-old son. Then the salesman said something about it being too complicated for a child of that age. The mother discussed with someone on the phone how that was the gift he was looking for: an electric guitar start-up kit. But she dismissed the purchase on account of the Sharper Asshole advice.

This is where I should've stepped in, and I still feel regret that I didn't. Honestly, I don't know who to be more angry with: the mother or the salesman. The mother shouldn't have listened to the salesman, who obviously hasn't held a guitar in his life. This is what her son wanted, and it was a good-quality kit. "Too complicated" my ass... Yes, it's a very complex and diverse instrument, but you don't have to be a technical master to use it as an outlet of musical passion. And shame on that guy for indirectly telling a kid he's not good enough for something. Something he might have a great passion and dream for, no less. I hope they both realized their mistakes later on, and I hope the kid plays whatever the hell he wants, no matter who says he can't.

I am obviously a huge advocate of making music a part of people's lives. Yeah, sometimes I come off very opinionated and condescending in my tastes and knowledge. But if someone's heart is behind making a sound that's beautiful and moving to them, who am I to judge? It's not our love of the same music that unites us, but rather the love itself. Love without limitations, and turn up the volume as high as you can stand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your mom is a starter guitar kit.